So I tried to stop nursing Claire on Monday. I nursed her at 5 am then refused the breast the rest of the day and only offered the bottle (with pumped breastmilk nonetheless). I also fed her some applesauce (which is the one of the few solids she will eat). I continued to offer her a bottle throughout the day. At 8:oo in the night she still had not drunk from the bottle (not one drop!) so I gave in and breastfed her. She went 15 hours with nothing to drink and still refused the bottle! I couldn't believe it. She is such a stong little girl! The other crazy thing is that she was not really fussy. She was only crying if I was shoving the bottle in her face. But other than that she was fine. Go figure. So, I'm not sure what to do to get her to take a bottle. But one thing is for sure, she knows what she wants and it's not a bottle!
(Suggestions are welcome. Yes, I have tried every different nipple on the bottle and several sippy cups, and various liquids in the bottle.)
5/07/2008
The Stand-off
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comments:
Sorry--no helpful ideas from here. I returned to work after Jaron was born for a month or so, so he had to take the bottle and Nathan was in the hospital when he was only 5 weeks so he had to be fed from a bottle, never really had a chance to develop such bottle resistance!
I bet you were (are!) completely frustrated and it has got to be hard to go anywhere if she will only feed from you! It reminds me of when Jaron was a baby and we went over to see you guys and I was frustrated because I couldn't get him to take a binki but he seriously wanted to suck on something (my finger!) all the time--and you brought out this huge collection of binkis and we tried each one until we found one that worked?!? You saved my sanity that night! Wish I could return the favor!!
Post a Comment