I hate when my children are hurt and it's even worse when it's my fault. Here's the story before you go jumping to conclusions. I was cleaning my massively heavy potter's wheel and Ethan was "helping" by filling it with water. The wheel is solid metal and weighs over 100 lbs. So I finish scrubbing the outside and now the well is full of water. So I lift it up, thinking I will just tilt it, let the water run out and set it back down. Well, I was too weak to control the monster once it was in the air and it tilted to the side and came crashing down on Ethan's foot. I knew I couldn't stop the 100lb.+ wheel so I yelled to Ethan get out of the way and gave him a shove. It was too late, the damage was done. Of course there was tons of tears and a trip the urgent care. The doctor said it was not broken. And it would have been had the entire force of it come down on his foot. So it probably skidded along the side of his foot. So I like to think maybe my little shove saved him a broken foot even though my weakness brought the injury on in the first place.
Ethan's tearful response was, "Why did you do that to me Mom?!" "I'm SO SORRY, it was an accident." Needless to say, he wanted Mike to console him.
My dad says he will be telling this story for the next 30 years, the time mom dropped a wheel on my foot.....



4 comments:
Oh Becca, the guilt we moms put ourselves through. I feel for you. It was an accident! Thank goodness you had the reflexes to push him out of the way.
I'm just letting you know that I checked your blog, and that foot looks so bad. I'm glad it didn't break oh and also great pictures of Clair. I'm Proud!!
Good job sis., I am sure he will get you back one day, maybe he will break your hand like I did to our mom. Completely on accident of course, but the world has a funny way of paying us back.
ohhhh... poor baby. i love that you're taking pictures and recording this incident however. it won't give him a chance to embellish later on... maybe.
and claire's looking super cute! what a doll.
Post a Comment